Hello,

configuration: tomcat 5.0.28
               redhat linux 7.1
               vm: 1.4.2_03

I'm trying to install tomcat 5.0. Everything works fine as far as using the startup and shutdown scripts provided.

However, when I try to start the server as a linux daemon with jsvc, the server crashes.

The catalina.out-log says:

<quote>

****************
Another exception has been detected while we were handling last error.

Dumping information about last error: ERROR REPORT FILE = (N/A) PC = 0x400b0646 SIGNAL = 11 FUNCTION NAME = (N/A) OFFSET = 0xFFFFFFFF LIBRARY NAME = (N/A) Please check ERROR REPORT FILE for further information, if there is any. Good bye. pure virtual method called jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return value of 255

</quote>

But then again, if I remove the ajp connector entry in server.xml, jsvc and the tomcat just work fine.

If I try to start the server again after it has crashed once, the catalina.out-log says:

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x400B0646
Function=(null)+0x400B0646
Library=/lib/i686/libc.so.6

NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
      just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
      reason and solutions.

Current Java thread:
at org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredDocumentImpl.getNodeObject(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredDocumentImpl.synchronizeChildren(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.getDocumentElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.modules.MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.execute(MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.java:132)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.modules.MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.loadDescriptors(MbeansDescriptorsDOMSource.java:120)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.load(Registry.java:819)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.loadDescriptors(Registry.java:931)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.loadDescriptors(Registry.java:909)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.findDescriptor(Registry.java:992)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.findManagedBean(Registry.java:696)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.findManagedBean(Registry.java:1047)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.registerComponent(Registry.java:859)
at org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.registerComponent(Registry.java:346)
at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector.start(CoyoteConnector.java:1514)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:489)
- locked <0x44cc7428> (a [Lorg.apache.catalina.Connector;)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2313)
- locked <0x44ce5510> (a [Lorg.apache.catalina.Service;)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
at org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.start(DaemonLoader.java:218)

Does anyone have a clue?

To me, this looks like a problem with jsvc and ajp.

I do have another instance of tomcat running on this system, but I've changed the port numbers.

Any hint or help is very much appreciated.

Michael Kastner