Hi,

I am running Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9.2 with,

1. Sun Java 1.4.2_03-b02
2. Kerne 2.6.5-7.79-smp
3. Tomcat version jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19-29.1

When running using NPTL, verified using ldd java the tomcat under heavy load i.e. 300 concurrent threads per second gradually leaks memory.

A kill -3 shows threads not cleaning up and new threads being created with new requests coming in.

To solve this problem I used the work around and set the variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
And now I can see all the threads as processes and there is no memory leak whatsoever and the application is running well although the performance has taken a hit by atleast 30%.

Searching for solution for this problem has been difficult no clue at all, I would appreciate if somebody could guide me if there are any flags, versions or anything else I can do to use Native threads rather than using the variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.

Thanks in advance.

-Arvind