Ok Ive realised what I was doing wrong I was listing a file on each directory
as follows

<welcome-file-list id="WelcomeFileList_1">
  <welcome-file>section1/start.jsp</welcome-file>
  <welcome-file>section2/start.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

when i just needed to specify the file

Also you can use it in conjunction with listing =false which I need because
some directories do not have a suitable default.

Ben Souther wrote:

Just before the error page listings in your application's web.xml file.

  4305
  4306   <welcome-file-list id="WelcomeFileList_1">
  4307       <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
  4308       <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
  4308       <welcome-file>start.jsp</welcome-file> <<<<---------
  4309    </welcome-file-list>
  4310 <!--