To: "Parsons Technical Services" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: Multiple domain names to a single site

I changed the dns entries of myapp.com
I then using the dnsmanager for my myapp.net domain to point to the ip address of myapp.com but I was disappointed to find that although it took me to the website it was still displayed as myapp.net NOT changed to myapp.com

Parsons Technical Services wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

You have two choices.
Either do a redirect in the dns (My dns has a GUI that allows me to do this so I don't know the details).

Or use the alias entry in the host element for mycompany.com.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/host.html#Host%20Name%20Aliases

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org> Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 11:21 AM Subject: Re: Multiple domain names to a single site

Parsons Technical Services wrote:

You will be working with the host entries in the server.xmlFrom how I read this you want mycompany..com and .net pointing at the same app. You can do this either at the dns level or in the host entry with an alias. As for master slave the master will be the desired URL. If you want people to use .com the set it up as your main entry and the redirect in the dns or alias .net to it. This way when they get to the site the URL in the address will be .com

If the mycompany site is the default site, as it appears to be, any URL that points to the server IP that does not have a matching host entry will go to the mycompany site. So you could just point both mycompany urls to the IP and it will work. With this the URL will remain as typed .com or .net For public relations don't do this as confusion will result. Especially when it comes to email.

You have understood me correctly and I understand what you say in principal. I want to do achieve the first case you describe so that if they enter www.mycompany.com it will remain so, if they enter www.mycompany.net it will redirect as www.mycompany.com. But Im still not sure how to do this, when you say mainentry do you mean using dns or do you mean the first host in server.xml (currently I just have the default localhost confgured). Then how do I create an alias for the second address is 'alias' a tomcat thing or a dns thing ?