Tony LaPaso wrote:
There's a more important issue at work here than whether or not I have to put the JARs in "common/lib" or "shared/lib": When writing code it's considered a bad practice (and I think, rightfully so) to "copy and paste" the same code to various locations. Instead, we factor out common behavior into separate classes or methods. There's an analogous idea involved here -- instead of "copying and pasting" the same JARs across many web applications it makes more sense (to me, anyway), to factor out these JARs and make them "centrally available". Having said that, I also realize the code within the JARs must be written such that the classes can be shared.

The flip side of that of course is that you'll potentially run into the same problem as Windows: DLL Hell, although it'll be JAR Hell now :)

The point about administrative simplicity is well-taken, but I've always been of the mindset that I'd rather have the JARs repeated in each webapp because then if I have to change a JAR version for a particular app I don't have to go and make sure all the other apps work with that version too.

Same problem with DLLs... how many times have you had a version conflict with MS Common Controls? Maybe not recently because some work has been done to alleviate this situation, but certainly in the past is arose all the time. The same could happen if you make JARs shared across webapps.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect