I work in a shop similar to the one you describe where individuals are
forced to fill multiple roles.  I'm called upon to implement everything
from domain models to navigation menus.  However, I find that keeping
the Java code that appears in JSP to a minimum helps in this situation
as well.  Although I am completely capable of wearing multiple hats, I
do feel that we all benefit from practices that limit the amount of time
we have to wear all those hats at once.  I would also argue the quality
of our work benefits from the increased level of focus such discipline
provides.  Some logic does belong in JSP.  However, the logic that
appears within pages should be limited to display logic.  I've found
that Struts and JSTL are a great combination to accomplish such
separation.

-Sean