I think the worst case is 22 versus 32, Frank. with 10 images.  See
your note and then my reasoning below that.

<snip>
> Even if it's all done in the most efficient way, those ten requests
> look, for all intents and purposes, like 10 simultaneous USERS (assuming
> 1 request per user).  So, maybe your app server can handle 100
> concurrent requests... If the web server was allowed to serve the
> images, your app server still has 100 slots available to service
> requests, which corresponds generally to 100 concurrent users... If it's
> serving 10 images for each physical user though, now you can only
> service 10 concurrent users, so you've reduced your overall server
> capacity (as viewed by outside clients) by 90%.  Ouch.
>
> I fully acknowledge those are rough, worst-case numbers... I certainly
> don't mean to imply that your approach is 90% worse.  Not at all!  Just
> trying to illustrate the problem, as I see it, in certain environments.
</snip>

app server = (AS)
struts server = (SS)
req = request
--> = pass
res = response

With ResourceAction
First case HTML = req (AS) res (AS) = 2
Second image JPEG (say) = req (AS) --> res (SS) = 3
Tenth image JPEG (say) = req (AS) --> res (SS) = 3

WIthout ResourceAction
First case HTML = req (AS) res (AS) = 2
First image JPEG (say) = req (AS) res (AS) = 2
Second image JPEG (say) = req (AS) res (AS) = 2
Tenth image JPEG (say) = req (AS) res (AS) = 2

This is 22 versus 32.  Apparently you "forgot" (I think?) that the app
server has to handle ten images too.  They don't just go out with the
page, although we are looking at this in a very oversimplified sense.

There is no question that the AS is quicker with HTML than the SS, but
I am not so sure about the images.  The SS may be faster.  There is
lots of room here for tuning.

~Dakota Jack~

~Native Proverb~

"Each man is good in His sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be
crows.  We are poor . . . but we are free."

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this