Here you go.
I just downloaded 5.5.7 with the compat stuff.
Set JAVA_HOME, Started and Stopped Tomcat.
Then ran ps to see if there were any java processes hanging.
Here is the session:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]$ export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_05
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]$ ./startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/bsouther/tc_test/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /home/bsouther/tc_test/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/bsouther/tc_test/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_05
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]$ ./shutdown.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/bsouther/tc_test/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /home/bsouther/tc_test/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/bsouther/tc_test/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_05
Created MBeanServer with ID: e94e92:101d4d0a879:-8000:bsouther:1
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]$ ps -ef | grep java
bsouther 11277 11110  0 15:44 pts/1    00:00:00 grep java
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]$