well, your -Xmx1G set's the limit for memory usage at 1 gig. ?
-server -Xms1G -Xmx1G -Xmn384m -XX:SurvivorRatio=7 -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xint

you might want to set that a little higher.

Michael Cornell wrote:

Not exactly sure but by running vmstat, it look like I am nearing the 2G
limit .. maybe about 1.8G consumed..

/m

reynir wrote:

how much memory is your process using when it crashes ?
-r

Michael Cornell wrote:

I am experiencing a problem many others seem to have had before, but
have found no answers.  I am running Tomcat 5.0.25 using jdk 1.4.2_06
hotspot vm on RedHat Linux ES with 4G Ram and twin Intel procs.

When load-testing, under high stress I receive the error below and the
thread dies.

04-Feb-2005 13:39:24 org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter service
SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the
request processing
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
      at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:112)
      at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:127)
..

I have adjusted the vm parameters to the below ( the perm space does not
get full and the Xint to not use the optimised settings..
-server -Xms1G -Xmx1G -Xmn384m -XX:SurvivorRatio=7 -XX:PermSize=64m
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xint

In addition I have added the"  reloading=false and development=false in
conf/web.xml. " as per instruction from this thread:
http://www.junlu.com/msg/78566.html

My connector is configured thus:
 <Connector
             port="80"
             maxThreads="1000"
             minSpareThreads="1000"
             maxSpareThreads="1000"
             enableLookups="false"
             redirectPort="8443"
             acceptCount="3000"
             debug="0"
             connectionTimeout="20000"
             disableUploadTimeout="true" />

However all of this is to no avail, and under high stress (80+ concurrent requests, tomcat dies and terminates the thread dumping a hs_pid12345.log with the above message

Is this a known hotspot 1.4.x problem (some threads have hinted at
this), or does someone have a solution for this??

Thanks,