Well, I spoke a little too soon.  The examples in webapps/ work fine, but
some of the same examples in my outside folder balk (recall I copied the
whole webapps folder to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\JSP\ and renamed it MYwebapps
and MYjsp-examples underneath that).  Some example errors follow...

Implicit Objects:
(BEGIN ERROR)
HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The absolute uri:
http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/functions cannot be resolved in either
web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:50)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:407)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:114)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.generateTLDLocation(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:316)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:147)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:418)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:483)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1539)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:126)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse(ParserController.java:211)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:100)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:146)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:286)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:267)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:255)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:556)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:296)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:245)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.5.7 logs.

Apache Tomcat/5.5.7
(END ERROR)

...or Hello World Tag:
(BEGIN ERROR)
HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: File
"/WEB-INF/jsp2/jsp2-example-taglib.tld" not found

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:50)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:407)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:114)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:159)

[...]

...and similar.

Anyone know what's wrong here?  Is it web.xml files or another place?

Thanks,
-Matt

Matthew Kozak
Rutgers University-Camden