Actually, that's not entirely true.
If you use jk_1.2.8.exe on Windows to install, it creates its own folder
(I forget the name and am away from this system at present, maybe ISAPI
Redirection DLL or such, sorry!) at the same level as $CATALINA_HOME
(Tomcat 5.5 in my case).  In there is a conf folder and in there are:
uriworkermap.properties
-AND-
workers.properties.minimal

You *should not* have to touch the second file, and will make all of your
configurations in the first file (at least I have)!  I would imagine the
1.2.8 setup for other systems is similar?  If not, there's more
obfuscation that should be corrected...!

Obviously, getting there with :8080 means he's well-beyond the
installation phase, and if he can get to the examples without expressly
using :8080, then he also has the DLL working already (is this the case,
David)?  I feel his pain on getting any further - the docs are obtuse at
best.

Although elementary for some, the addition of the line I mentioned for
uriworkermap.properties should solve this once the DLL is working and
your web server is configured to use it...

I found out the above in plain English using Google, and am working on
getting an app to work OUTSIDE of $CATALINA_HOME/webapps if you're
interested, David (offline, or look at old posts).

If you can not get the examples to work and are not using apache, try the
following document (if you try to use one of the links all over the net,
it fails, so you HAVE to go HERE to get this now!):
http://web.archive.org/web/20040324133706/http://www.rit.edu/~ack5504/tomcat-iis6-howto/tomcat-iis6-howto.html

Thanks,
-Matt

Matthew Kozak