I am using a GetDictionary.jsp script to parse an XML document
  containing simple Japanese phrases encoded with Shift_JIS.
  What I observe is that after reading a phrase into a
  java.util.HashMap bean the phrase becomes longer and modified
  (really, corrupted). This (corrupted) phrase sent in an HTTP reply,
  is modified again inside the packet.

  Example:
  1. the original phrase (in binary), from the XML doc:
  be dd c0 b8 bc c3 b8 c0 de bb b2 2e 2e 2e

  2. the phrase (1) logged from a HashMap object:
  efbf bd efbf bd 38 efbf bd c3 b8 efbf bd de bb efbf bd 2e 2e 2e

  3. the phrase (2) in an HTTP reply:
  21 29 21 29 38 21 29 21 29 21 29 21 29 21 29 2e 2e 2e

  It appears as if two transformations were going on, beyond the
  GetDictionary.jsp control. Interestingly the last three characters
  2e 2e 2e (='...') are preserved all the way.

  Another script Send.jsp that sends a reply has the following
  page declarations:
  <%@ page pageEncoding="Shift_JIS"%>
  <%@ page contentType="text/xml; charset=Shift_JIS"%>
  The situation is the same bad if only one declaration is in
  the Send.jsp:
  <%@ page contentType="text/xml; charset=Shift_JIS"%>

  Does anyone have a suggestion what am I doing wrong?
  Especially - while is there a 'transformation' from the XML doc
  to the HashMap?
  And then, why is there a second 'transformation' into a packet?

  Thanks,
  Jerry.

  [By the way, the same GetDictionary.jsp works fine if the
   parsed/read XML document is utf-8 encoded, or ISO-8859-1 encoded,
   or ascii. The phrase in the HashMap object is binary identical with
   the original phrase from the XML doc. Then it is the same in the
   reply packet (sent with a script having declared a corresponding
   charset).]