Peter Crowther wrote:

>>From: Graham Reeds [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Also disable HyperThreading in the BIOS on the new Dell.  HT
>>and Java is not a happy combination.

Interesting... do you have any recommended reading on that, Graham?

Love these urban-legend types of warnings ("don't flash your headlights...").

I think Graham is referring to a bug in the 1.4.2 line of JVMs where under certain circumstances, the HotSpot compiler trips over the garbage collector, and causes mysterious VM aborts. I believe there have been fixes in 1.4.2_06 and 1.4.2_07, and also in 1.5.0_01.

It's triggered more easily in an HT or MP machine, but the important thing is that it can also be tripped on non-HT, single-processor machines (though much more rarely).