Yes, the documentation is not as clear as it could be; however, Allistair:

How does this differ from my <Context.../> in server.xml to get Tomcat to
recognize webapps outside of $CATALINA_HOME?
Certainly <Context.../>'s are still relevant in server.xml, so perhaps I
misunderstand this exchange, and there needs to be clarification on the
TYPES of <Context.../>'s we're talking about in each case?

Thanks,
-Matt

Matthew Kozak
Rutgers University-Camden