Have you tried using 127.0.0.1:8080 instead of localhost:8080? I'm
just throwing out ideas here.
BTW, are you using the default port 8080 or did you change it to use
another port?
How is Tomcat finding your JVM? did you create a CLASSPATH var in
your /etc/csh.cshrc file?
I had weird sluggish behavior with 3.2.1 running on OSX beta where
Tomcat would seem to finish its work fairly quickly from what I was
seeing at the prompt output, But my browser would just sit there
waiting for the results.

I was also getting HotspotJVM fatal errors.
I'm now using Tomcat 4.0b1 and these problems have disappeared.
Hopefully OS X final will have a more stable JVM

- miles