Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

I wouldn't have expected to see them in Tomcat frankly... Although sending eMails from a webapp is relatively common, it's not common enough to be included with an app server (well, except for Websphere, which generally includes everything under the sun!)

I am kind of surprised it hasn't been incorporated into JDK1.5 though, that would have been a reasonable expectation. Is it perhaps rolled into J2EE instead? I don't know. Same for JAF.

Most of you responded that JavaMail and JAF are a part of J2EE, while Tomcat provides only a subset of J2EE. I agree with that.

The reason for my post was the fact that:

1. TC 4.1 has JavaMail support, just as TC 5.0 (at least in JPackage version)
2. TC docs for all versions list a JavaMail over JNDI example

Rolling JavaMail support into TC 5.5.7 wasa breeze, but you should warn people of this. Or I wasn't paying enough attention to docs (which could also be the case).

Nix.