See bugzilla and search for welcome-files - I believe this was talked about a few times.

-Tim

Andreas Schildbach wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm using Tomcat 5.0 and Servlet Spec 2.4.

I have defined a servlet mapping all *.html and a standard welcome file,
as follows:

<servlet>
        <servlet-name>test</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>Test</servlet-class>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>test</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.html</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

Unfortunately, this does not work as expected. My servlet receives all
requests ending on .html, but not any "directory" URLs, which are
answered with an 404 error instead.

Examples:

http://mydomain/myapp/bla.html => received by servlet, ok
http://mydomain/myapp/index.html => received by servlet, ok
http://mydomain/myapp/ => answered with 404, but should be received?!?
http://mydomain/myapp/dir/ => answered with 404, should be received?!?

I don't understand why this does not work. Can anyone help me?

Regards,

Andreas