i'm getting the same problem, w/MySQL 4.1.8 & 3.1.6 connector (except my error is "Software caused connection abort" rather than "broken pipe - but same underlying cause, MySQL timing out the connection). autoReconnect doesn't work for me either. sounds like perhaps i should bail on 5.5.* & go to 5.0 for a while?

We upgraded from Tomcat 5.0.19 to Tomcat 5.5.7 in production and are
now getting JDBC connection errors when the site has not been
accessed for a while.  This is happening when a user tries to login -
we use a JDBCRealm to authenticate the user.

We had this problem a while back but fixed it by adding the "autoReconnect" parm, but now with Tomcat 5.5. we are having the
problem again. We are using MySQL 4.1.7 and version 3.1.7 of the
MySQL JDBC connector.