Hi,
   I am not exactly sure what you meant by "you don't
have to do that" ?  For example, how would a class
differentiate between
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory and
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory
without doing anything? Off course the import
declarations have to be changed and classes recompiled
for classes using them directly.   My usage of it was
container manage and requires reformatting <Resource>
therefore I don't have the need for recompilations.
Perhaps a new DTD will help clarify what should be in
the context.xml file.
   My comments were more of "heads-up" to people doing
a conversion to the newer 5.5.7 and newer.

aka_sergio