Dear Friends,

I am trying to get started with tomcat 5.5.7 which is the most stable release. I have spent a lot time on reading the documents. Here I am trying to get some pointer. First let me introduce myself, I have a lot of experience
using the RedHat linux. Right now my system is RedHat 9.0. I updated a lot of things on this machine
such as Apache, Ant 1.6, JDK SE 1.5, gcc 3.3, gtk .... So my environment is bit recent. My kernel is
2.4.20-8.

First question which is better, the source or the binary? I could build the tomcat easily by doing the simple
download of the build.xml into a directory. At the shell

#ant
will build the whole tomcat system. What do I do to go to the next step: install the binaries into the proper
places in the system, such as /usr/local/tomcat? I came from the classical make tradition, where you simple

#make
#make install

Is there such a thing with ant? Does anyone have any idea for the location of documents or the sort concerning what to do after building tomcat? I don't seem to see anything in the source directory?

On the binary download branch, I could follow the instruction from tomcat web page.

Any comments or help is appreciated.

Kemin