> From: Guillaume Lahitette [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Over 1000 threads running in production
>
> Our operations team discovered over 1000 java threads running
> on each production server. It appears that about 20 threads
> are added to this count every hour.

Since no one else seems to be reporting this kind of problem, odds are it's a
bug in one or more of the applications you're running under Tomcat.  There's an
off chance it could be a problem in the JRE, since you're using a level that's
been out of date and unsupported for quite some time.

The number of threads Tomcat uses to service requests is controlled by the
maxProcessors parameter of the <Connector> element you're using; for 4.1, the
default value is 20, and it would be very, very unusual to ever need to set it
to much over 100.  Since you don't seem to be aware of this configuration
parameter, you're probably using the default.

Other than a few created for internal purposes by Tomcat and the JVM itself,
additional threads must come from the applications.  I would be highly
suspicious of some piece of code kicking off a thread and then losing track of
it and the thread not having any logic to terminate itself when it's no longer
needed.

>   e.. Any known issues with our setup?

Can't tell unless you pass on the .xml files.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.