> We have an application running as a webapp which requires legacy
> systems and network resources which are not fault-tolerant.  Luckily
> these resources are stateless. So we have replicated these
> resources so
> that one is available per tomcat instance.  When we attempt
> to use one
> of these resources from within the webapp and it fails, we need a way
> to try the next pair (tomcat &  legacy) in the group.  This
> will allow
> us to provide a balanced & fault-tolerant service with a webapp
> interface.  Since the tomcat instance is responding and functioning,
> the reply_timeout was not met so apache webserver considered the
> request a success.  Providing a application error from tomcat
> (maybe a
> 503 or 401 instead of 500) seemed like the "rightest" way to do it.
>
> I see a few other options:
>
> 1. Put a layer on top of apache that tests the response and
> makes a new
> request.  This doesn't buy us anything and circumvents the use of jk
> 2. (some how/maigcally) Send an out of process message from
> tomcat back
> to apache that the resource is down.
> 3. Modify AJP to handle this error (this may already have a mechanism
> that I missed)
>
> Does any one have any other suggestions for ensuring reliability when
> there is a 3rd party piece of hardware/software which your webapp
> relies on that has no fault-tolerance of its own?

I may be totally missing the point here, but isn't this something that could be
handled in a servlet filter. If you have an availability problem, set a flag in
the response header that the filter can check for and take appropriate action?

Regards
Roger

liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.