In our setup, we have JSP's that create a "temporary" file with the deleteOnExit flag set.
The session timeout (getMaxInactiveInterval) appears to be the "default" of 1800 seconds (30 minutes).

We are blasting our servlet container (tomcat and jetty) with JSP fetches (that don't handle cookies - http_load if you are curious as to what we are using) and noting that these files stick around till the servlet container itself quits (the java process goes away). At that point ALL the files are deleted, and it can take HOURS in some cases to do so.

Is this expected behavior? We think that these files should be deleted when the session "expires". That seems like the right thing to do.

Jetty appears to perform similarly except that it actually CRASHES with outOfMem errors after enough files are opened this way. Tomcat seems more stable.

Jetty 4.2.17, Tomcat 5.0.16.

Thanks for all help.

- Joseph