Hi Geoff,

The general concensus I believe is to use a combination of Ant and source
control (CVS, VSS). In our case, we have 4 developers all with Eclipse and
local workstation Tomcat instances. We all check in to VSS via the VSS Plugin
in Eclipse.

When we wish to perform a staging or production build, we have written an Ant
build.xml file to handle deployment. For staging, our Ant script copies JSPs,
classes and resources only, nothing fancy. The staging server detects the class
changes and reloads the web app and we can test. For production, our Ant script
packages everything up as a WAR file which we then deploy by copying into the
production webapps folder. You can also use the Tomcat deploy manager tool for
this, adn I believe there are also some Tomcat specific Ant commands. But in
general, Ant is what you need and some form of source control is a must esp. on
multi-dev projects.

Allisatir.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software