Please tell me if this is a bug in Tomcat.
I just ran into this problem. It would help someone running into a same issue.

I deploy a webapp with datasource configured through ROOT.xml (inside conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml). The data source was not found when I run the webapp. So, I check the admin, and the database source is there under "/". The error was that the connection fail because of the driver class '' and the url string null. After awhile, I found out that there is another file under conf/Catalina/localhost named .xml. So this one override the another. The problem is that admin picks up the ROOT.xml, while the engine picks up .xml. I am not sure what the spec says about this, but this seems really fishy.