I am using mod_jk2, and in its workers2.properties
file, you can specify "level" attribute for
"channel.socket"

quote from
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc-archive/jk2/jk2/configwebcom.html
as description to "level" attribute:

"Worker Priority. Valid values are 0-3. The
functioning workers with the lowest level will be
checked for the lowest lb_value, and if found will be
run. The upper level workers are only checked upon
failure of all workers on ALL of the levels below
them. This is very useful for implementing failover
withing a cluster. You could set the tomcat server
local on the same machine as the apache instance to
level 0 and all of the other workers to level 1. This
would cause apache to only use the external tomcats
when the local tomcat is down."

Basically, something like:
[channel.socket:machineone:8009]
port=8009
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
level=1

[channel.socket:machinetwo:8009]
port=8009
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
level=2

in your workers2.properties file
all quest will go to machineone unless it is not
availuable, then all request will go to machinetwo.

Cheers

Hang