I don't know what kind of application you are running, but most likely
you have a resource leak; Do a thread dump and see what your threads
are waiting for. Most likely they are just in wait state and no CPU
usage. It could be cause by lots of things. One problem could be
using jdbc and not closing your connection or returning it to your pool.
For testing reduce your resource limit, don't increase it (reduce Max
thread, and connection pool). This would cause system hangs faster.
Send a SIGQUIT signal to VM and look at state of your threads and its
location (don't post your thread dump!)

Paul Grimwood wrote:

Tomcat hangs intermittently (1 to 10 days) with the following message in catalina.out

20/04/2005 13:48:09 org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool logFull
SEVERE: All threads (250) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads (250) or check the servlet status

We are running tomcat 5.5.7 on jdk1.5.0_02 under Redhat Linux Fedora Core 2 against an Oracle9 DB.

I have seen various posts to this with suggestions including setting Linux threads with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL (tried but problem still exists) and setting connection timeout in server.xml from 0 to 60000 (but ours is set at 20000 already). And we have already upgraded to latest Tomcat and JRE to no avail. Despite reviewing the mailing list over the past 18 to 24 months, i am none the wiser.

The problem started around the time we deployed the code onto a new server running a later Linux version but this could be a red herring and I suspect it is a database connection issue. Has anyone got any ideas?