I agree, it's always a good idea to let the JVM do what it is supposed to do
instead of creating a growing overhead. The only exception to that rule is if
you think you'll reach 1024 MB, but as you say yourself, 512 seems to do fine
as -Xms.

btw, here is an article that goes into detail (ratio's etc.) using jvm 1.4.2
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2/index.html