> From: Peter Lin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: OutOfMemoryError - 100 thread limit?
>
> I'm just guessing here, but by forcing the maxPermSize to 128, it
> leaves more space for the eden and prevents classes from getting
> promoted to perm.

I think you're confusing tenured with perm.  Nothing is ever promoted to
perm - only known long-lived objects (primarily instances of
java.lang.Class) are allocated in there, and no objects ever migrate to
or from perm space.  Regular objects are normally allocated in eden
space (young gen), and if they live long enough, are migrated to the
tenured area (old gen) during a GC.

Increasing the perm size actually reduces, not increases, the amount of
eden space available since the total of all three generations (young,
old, perm) must come from the -Xmx setting.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.