Hello Fritz,

Thank you for the welcome. I have comments below....

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fritz Schneider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>; "'Bob Bronson'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:22 PM
Subject: RE: Newbie Question: conext.xml

Bob,

Welcome, fellow newbie! I struggled with this one also. It turns out that
the <context> element for a root directory MUST be nested inside the <host>
element in server.xml. The relevant documentation reads:

I don't think this is right. First, here's another quote form the TC docs:
"In addition to nesting Context elements inside a Host element, you can also store them..." then there are 4 bullet points listed which I refered to in my original posting.

The TC goes on to say: "Please note that for tomcat 5, unlike tomcat 4.x, it is NOT recommended to place <Context> elements directly in the server.xml file."

So, it looks like it should NOT be in the server.xml. And, I was actually able to get it working without putting it in server.xml.

"You may define as many Context elements as you wish. Each such Context MUST
have a unique context path, which is defined by the path attribute. In
addition, you MUST define a Context with a context path equal to a
zero-length string. This Context becomes the default web application for
this virtual host, and is used to process all requests that do not match any
other Context's context path."

yes, I know....this quote preceeds the four bullet points. I must have read this a dozen times.

Fritz