Hi All,

I am currently using Tomcat 5.0.28 coupled with JDK 1.4.2_02 to run
the tomcat service. I have noticed that unless the path to a JDK is
specified in JAVA_HOME, the tomcat does not start. On Windows, the
setclasspath.bat file has the following entries:

    :noJavaHome
    echo The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
    echo This environment variable is needed to run this program
    echo NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE
    goto exit

But the tomcat documentation available at:
     < http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/setup.html >
states this: "Java location: The installer will use the registry or
the JAVA_HOME environment variable to determine the base path of the
JDK or a JRE. If only a JRE (or an incorrect path) is specified,
Tomcat will run but will be unable to compile JSP pages at runtime.
Either all webapps will need to be precompiled (this can be easily
done using the Tomcat deployer), or the lib\tools.jar file from a JDK
installation must be copied to the common\lib path of the Tomcat
installation."

If this is possible, why is it that the Windows installer for Tomcat
does not accept the location of JRE (it accepts ONLY a JDK), and why
does the batch files state that only a JDK should be provided, and not
a JRE?

In case anyone has successfully been able to start Tomcat without
specifying a JDK, please help me. Eagerly awaiting your replies.

Many thanks in advance and Warm Regards,

Lakshmi Narayanan K.
" When the buying stops, the killing can too! "