Hi,

we are currently planning a setup for a new application and decided to use
Apache as Web Server and Tomcat as JSP/Servlet Engine.

This is -so far- a pretty common way I guess. We now think about the
environment to build up, because it has to be an application running SSL.

We think about the following option:
Apache will serve as a webserver inside a firewall.
It will then forward requests to Tomcat which runs on a separate machine
behind the firewall.

QUESTION 1:
Does anyone have experience with that ?

QUESTION 2:
If we think about not separating Apache and Tomcat onto two machines, what
are the PROs and CONs for
- SSL via Apache (and forwarding requests to tomcat !?)
- SSL via Tomcat

QUESTION 3:
Does anyone have major experience with the one or the other way ?
... Is the installation of the apache ssl module as easy as the
documentation says ?  ...
... Which version of tomcat do you suggest ?

Thanks for your answers !

Irma