You could probably do it, but at the end you wouldn't have a servlet engine.

The spec EXPLICITLY states that java.io.tmpdir must be writable. Are you
allowing file uploads? Commons-fileupload uses that area for disk file
upload. Are you creating PDF output? Some packages use  the area for
temporary file space.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/