> Shouldn't it have the "-server" in there if it is running in server mode?
>
> How can I tell that the JVM is actually running in server mode?

well, not sure if you can. I'd try java.lang.System.getProperties() or
something...

At least on a Solaris machine you could figure out whether you are
running in 32bit or 64bit (triggered by -server) mode by checking
os.arch as it differs. Probably there are other sys properties giving a
hint (see javadoc).
Also the manager app shows this along with you memory settings. Hence
you could "assume" that it worked, if you also set -Xmx or Xms and check
this changing with the Tomcat manager app.

Cheers,
Michael