From: "Fred Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2) We had the CLASSPATH set to point to servlet.jar (needed to compile the test program). This was the main problem, which might bring up a versioning question. We are running RH 8.0 on this machine with Tomcat 5.5.7 and apache 2.0.53. What is the correct version of servlet.jar that should be run with this version of Tomcat and Apache?

Well... I don't think it's called servlet.jar anymore. A quick look shows no servlet.jar file in the Tomcat 5.5.9 download. I believe the file you want is servlet-api.jar . (I'm still on 4.1, so I'm guessing...)

You could also download the "official" API from Sun, and compile against that. It's not that you need to compile against a specific version of _Tomcat_, it's that you need to compile against the right version of the Servlet Specification. In your case, Tomcat 5.5 is Servlet 2.4, so make sure that's what you're using.

Where did you get the 'servlet.jar' file that you were using? Maybe it does contain the right stuff, but those strange NoClassDefFound errors you were getting made me suspicious.

--
Wendy Smoak