In Windows that's what it means too, but this isn't Windows or Linux...it's
a JVM.

Since it wasn't obvious from the code (MessageResources used in pathnames),
let me put it another way.

The code tries to create a directory /images/<userid>.

The Servlet is apparently limited in the filepath it gets to work with. I'd
expect that.

In Windows, Tomcat executes it and it goes to C:\tomcat4\images\<userid>

In my Suze install, Tomcat the analogous directory
/opt/tomcat4/webapps/images

I didn't check to see if it's *different* because in the code it won't be.
It's the same identifier working off of root. Windows Tomcat puts it under
it's webapps tree. I'm expecting Suze to do the same.

I have a hard time imagining that Tomcat gets a different view of its root
file system depending on which OS I runs on. It really ruins the concept of
platform independence for this sort of thing.

-Joe