I have a apache/tomcat environment that has some
problems recently. The environment has the following:
1.  Apache 1.3
2.  Tomcat 5.0.28 (Max memory 384mb)
3.  JDK 1.4.2_06

My apache has MaxClient set to 256 (apache default).
The maxThread for tomcat is 500. The site is a
database driven site.

It seems working fine when load is low. But when there
are more than 150 threads (from the sever status view
of the tomcat manager), it's response time is very
slow (5 - 10 minutes). I have tested the database
connections, they seem responding fairly well.

Interesting thing is that most of time the slow
response time only happens when a user login. Once the
user login and get the main menu page, the user will
get a good response time. Is it related to KeepAlive
connections.

Another strange thing is that many threads always show
up in the server status view on the tomcat html
manager page even though I am sure the request has
gone (I tested this by making a request, then close
the browser).

My CPU usage is low when the slowdown is experienced
(Using the top command on this solaris box which has
old solaris operating system 2.6? with 1GB memory.

I set the session timeout time to 5 minutes, but in
the session view of tomcat manager, I see message "30
- <40 minutes:136 sessions". How a session that is
more than 30 minutes is still there. Maybe I don't
understand this message correctly.

Please advice. This is a production machine. Helps are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeffrey.

Discover Yahoo!