I looked at the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml file, but can't find anything
like that inside the HOST element. It's the standard server.xml file though,
I don't know in what way a servlet itself can change that file; but I don't
think it can.

> You should also look for a context.xml in the
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/[webapp]/META-INF/ directory for the same
> reason.

I did, but there is none, and there never was one. That's what I thought
first,
but there's just a MANIFEST.MF file inside.

> If you will find an existing Context definition, then insert
> your valve
> filter there and delete you newly created <application>.xml.
>

> Best wishes
>
> Lutz

I attached the server.xml and the application's xml file to the mail though.

Regards,

Jens