From: David Haynes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 May 2005 19:30
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Help needed with Hibernate persistent servlet

I feel that I am almost there, but can't quite get the last problem out of the way.

I am using Tomcat 5.5.7, NetBeans 4.1rc2, and Hibernate 3.0.3.

I have set up the web.xml for my project to start the HibernateUtil as a load-on-startup servlet and confirmed that the proper libraries (jar files) are in place under WEB-INF/lib. I know that the servlet is running since I put the declaration into the global web.xml and got back the duplicate service error.

My problem is that I am getting NoClassDefFoundError. Looking at the java generated for my jsp, I see that the class not found is the one which references my persistent object. ( i.e. when I reference HibernateUtil.currentSession() )

Do I need to do something else to make the persistent object visible to my jsp? The jsp does import my package containing HibernateUtil and the org.hibernate.* set as well.

Googling seems to indicate that getting this to work is an often seen problem, but there not a lot of details about how to fix this. I have checked all the fixes I can find but nothing seems to be working.

Thanks for any ideas/help.
-david-

Thanks for taking the time to try to help. It turns out to be a documentation problem with Hibernate 3.0 in that one of the required jar libraries is not documented as being required. Once I added the asm.jar library, everything started to work properly.

-david-