From: Len Popp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 8:33 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: How to do "Downtime" with a Apache/Tomcat webapp

I've been thinking about the same problem, but I haven't gotten around
to working on it seriously.
 How about this: Instead of fiddling with the JkMount directives in
Apache, swap the web.xml in your Tomcat app so it points to a minimal
servlet that returns the "Out of service" page for all requests.
 Does that sound like it would work? It would be less disruptive because
you don't have to restart Apache (if there's more to the web site than
the one Tomcat app). Plus this will work with stand-alone Tomcat.

On 5/15/05, Richard Mixon (qwest) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm curious how folks handle letting users know that their webapp is
> down when doing maintenance.
>
> We've got a pretty standard setup. Our informational/static site is
> served by Apache 2.0.x. We use mod_jk to link to a page in our
> webapplications, triggering CMA for authentication and login. We run
> Tomcat 5.5.x. Although we actually have Tomcat clustered, there are
> still times when we need to make the application unavailable. (i.e.
> doing database schema changes, etc.).
>
> I would like for a page to be displayed that says the application is
> temporarily not available.
>
> So, what's the best way to do this?
>
> One way I can think of is to modify the JkMount directives so that may

> context name was not mapped to Tomcat, but instead to a static page -
> the just do a restart. Trouble is some of our users have bookmarks
> into various pages/actions in the application - we would somehow have
> to mapp all pages that began with the context name to this single
> page. This sounds a bit messy.
>
> Is there a more straightforward way of doing this?
>
> Thank you - Richard

Len Popp