I am sending this message as it was bounced back to me I apologize if for
some reason you receive it twice.

I am trying to install tomcat on red hat enterprise server 8 with ant and
apache. However when trying to run ant (to compile a simple servlet I get
the following error).

Using the simple build file I get the following error trying to run the ant.
I have searched everything I could find on google, and almost certain it’s a
classpath issue, however I have tried to alter the classpath in several ways
to make what I think are the appropriate jars visible and I am at a loss.

The error is …/build.xml:146: taskdef class
org.apache.catalina.ant.DeployTask cannot be found

I have installed the following

Apache/2.0.46 – already in place

Jdk1.5.0-03 tar

Tomcat 5.5.9 tar

mod_jk 1.2.10 – built so and placed under apache shared objects

Also installed ant version 1.6.3

CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat
ANT_HOME=/usr/local/apache-ant-1.6.3
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_03"

I have already copied the catalina-ant jar from $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib to
$ANT_HOME/lib, I also tried copying the catalina-deployer.jar from the
tomcat deployer into the same location.

If I comment out the taskdefs in the build.xml I can get ant to build.

Here are the lines that are causing failure in to build.xml

<taskdef name="deploy"   classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.DeployTask"/>
<taskdef name="list"     classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.ListTask"/>
<taskdef name="reload"   classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.ReloadTask"/>
<taskdef name="undeploy" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.UndeployTask"/>

…

If I comment them out then I can run ant. However in order to allow them to
be there I have tried several things, like copying catalina-ant.jar to
$ANT_HOME/lib and placing it in the classpath environment variable also I
tried adding classpath element to each of these tasks, like

<taskdef name="deploy"   classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.DeployTask">
 <classpath>
 <pathelement location="/usr/local/apache-ant-1.6.3/lib/catalina-ant.jar"/>
 <pathelement
location="/usr/local/apache-ant-1.6.3/lib/catalina-deployer.jar"/>
 </classpath>
</taskdef>

However the error persists, as I mentioned I googled this and found that I
should just copy the Catalina-ant.jar and Catalina-deployer.jar to apache
lib directory however this is not solving my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help, RS