I won't argue with no. 1 since I don't use SSL connectors in Tomcat.
However, no. 2 can be mitigated with the commons-daemon project among
other tricks and IMHO, not a valid argument against having Tomcat out front.

Just my thoughts on the subject. :-)

-David

Mark wrote:

>I was very interested in the discussion concerning Apache vs Tomcat
>WRT Performance.  While I cannot argue with the performance numbers, I
>do like putting Apache in front of Tomcat for 2 reasons that I have
>found so far.
>
>1. SSL.  If I am going to be serving pages whether they be dynamic or
>static, I think Apache handles the SSL communications and key storage
>better.  In tests that I have run, the crypto that needs to be done to
>support SSL is faster in C than Java.  Also, Tomcat stores any key
>information in a flat file, where Apache will prompt for a password on
>startup.  Now some administrators might like this better, because
>Tomcat will then start automatically at boot time, I would not want
>any password of mine sitting in the clear in a test file.
>2. If you are hosting your site using port 80 on Unix boxes this means
>running Tomcat as root.  I can think of very few reasons why Tomcat
>needs to be run as root.  Apache has the ability to 'downgrade' user
>privileges once Apache is started.
>
>Please do not think that I am bashing Tomcat, juts pointing out some
>interesting findings that I have come across over time.  I have been a
>supporter and user of tomcat back to the 3.x days and will continue.
>
>Thank you.

David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor
Department of Entomology