Is this a bug?

So, I deploy the struts-blank webapp to my webapps directory under tomcat.
Everything works fine.

Then I try to undeploy it under the manager, and it responds the a message,
context undeployed.

But when I do a list under the tomcat manager it is still there.

If I look under the webapps directory, my struts-blank directory is still
there.

I look under the application directory under webapps, and I find that the
commons-digester.jar, commons-validator.jar, and struts.jar are still there.
If I try to delete them, I cannot. My operating complains that these files
are still in use by another application.

I shut down tomcat, and presto, the application is really undeployed.

I actually found this problem working on my own application, and found that
the build script failed to (re) deploy even though I undeployed an
application.

Thus I have two questions:

1)       If an application is not fully undeployed, shouldn't the tomcat
manager complain about it with a message or warning, rather than just ok?

2)       Is there a known issue/bug with tomcat not releasing .jar resources
(specifically the ones mentioned above) of applications being undeployed?

I have searched under bugzilla, and there seems to be a undeploy bug
identified and fixed, but I am not sure if it applies to what I have
identified here or not.

Versions:

Struts 1.2.4

Tomcat: 5.5