I have Tomcat 5.5.9 using JK to communicate with Apache 2.0.54 just fine. The workers.properties file is configured correctly, the httpd.conf is configured correctly, and I had to make a small change to server.xml to call my new site. This is all running on one Windows 2000 Server machine.

When I first started this I was getting the problem listed below. Looking at the mod_jk.log I found that Tomcat 5.5.9 wasn't listening. So, basically what I had to do was start Tomcat MANUALLY, and then everything worked perfectly.

So, what I'd like to do is configure JNI so with JK (not JK2 since it is now deprecated) and get Apache 2.0.54 to automatically start Tomcat 5.5.9. Or, I'd like to use JK (via Apache 2.0.54) to start Tomcat 5.5.9 in-process.

In short, can I do this? If I can, can someone refer me to the steps I have to take in workers.properties, server.xml, and httpd.config to make this happen.

BTW, in my research I have found people using JK to connect Apache 2.0.x to Tomat 4.x, but it usually involves modifying server.xml to use the Tomcat4 CoyoteConnector, and I wasn;t sure if that was available for Tomcat 5.5.

Any help would be much appreciated, and if you need any more information from me, please let me know. Thanks.

                  Tom

Tom Holmes Jr. wrote:

I agree I should work with the files first to see if I can get it to work. I used the sample workers.properties file from Tomcat 5.5 in order to create my working workers,properties file. So, now when I restart Apache2, it doesn't complain and it looks like it is communicating with Tomcat 5.5.

However, when I try my JSP page, I get a big 'OK' at the top of the screen and then I get this error message:

Please contact the server administrator, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

So ..... after reading the documentation you referred me to, it looks like I need to update my httpd.conf file a bit more. I mean I got the LoadModule working, but it looks like I need to add some Jk commands like JkMount to my httpd.conf file. So, I am playing with that now.

I might need your files as a sample, but I'll work on this on my own for a little while. Thanks very much.

                          Tom

Darryl Wilburn wrote:

Tom,
If you need them, I can send you my actual files. Although I encourage you to do all you can do on your
own to figure it out. It'll pay huge dividends in the
end if you understand what you had to do to make it
work.

DW

--- "Tom Holmes Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can't thank you enough.  I was wondering if anyone
had done it, and you certainly have.

The sample files I have has always been the biggest
hurdle for me also.  The mod_jk.so I am using is
"mod_jk-1.2.13-apache-2.0.54.so" which I think is for Windows.

I'll refer to the same directions you used, and I am
sure I will get it also. Thanks for giving me hope that it can be done! Now
I just have to get past those sample files also.

Thanks again!

                                         Tom

Darryl Wilburn wrote:

Tom,
I have Tomcat 5.5.7, Apache 2.0.54, JRE 1.5.0_03,

JK

1.2.11, running on Win2k3 server with no problems. The biggest hurdle I had to get over was making the
necessary changes on the sample files included with
the software. (the worker names didn't match) The
files required are mod_jk.so (downloaded at

http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/)

The instructions I followed are at

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/howto/apache.html.

The other files involved are workers.properties,
mod_jk.conf. The HowTo instructions at the above

link

are excellent.

DW

--- "Tom Holmes Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ok, I'm not a newbie to Apache 2.x, Tomcat 4.x,

JK2

with Java SDK 1.4.x ... I have gotten these to work over the years

with

few problems either on a Windows or Linux environment. I've modified
the httpd.conf file and workers2.properties files under Apache 2.x,

and

the server.xml and jk2.properties under Tomcat 4.x.

However, now I am in unfamiliar territory once

more.

I am working on Windows 2000, and I want to use Apache 2.x which I
have no problems working with.  But now, I want it to work with
Tomcat 5.5.x ...  so, here the questions begins:

I understand that I should be using the Java SDK

1.5

now with Tomcat 5.5.x, is that correct?

I always thought that JK2 was the new version of

JK.

I have always used JK2 to connect tomcat 4.x to Apache 2.x. I
understand that JK2 is now deprecated and is no longer getting any support? Does this mean I should now use JK to connect Tomcat 5.5.x with
Apache 2.x? Do I still need a workers2.properties file?

Where can I find documentation on using JK in

order

to connect Apache 2.x with Tomcat 5.5.x?   Any sample files I need?

I know I've seen a lot of questions about this on
this list and on the net (yes, Google is my friend), but I only get

bits

and pieces of the whole, I was looking for anything more
comprehensive.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

                          Tom

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]