If you want to get info on a particular DTD,
try using the URL that it references:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd

Will give you a little more info on what it is for.
You can at least find out what the parameters are
and when there are comments, maybe a little more.

Also check the Servlet API and the JSP API on the Java site:

http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr053/index.html

Also, check the archives of this list, there have been
a couple of people posting documents on the TC .xml files.

Mike.
--
Mike Braden
CNE, MCP+I, MCSE, CCNA, Sun Comp 2k Enterprise