From: Alistair Hopkins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 4:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Compressing Tomcat output.

We have a conditional compression setup: if some pages are small, it is
better not to compress them as the time the browser takes to decompress
makes the site slower on aggregate, esp with netscape.

The settings to control whether we zip and the threshold at which to zip can
then be adjusted for the most responsive 'feel'

                        import java.util.zip.*;
.
.
ByteArrayOutputStream bytes;
 (put html into bytes)
                    bytes.writeTo(out);
                    out.close();
                }
                else
                {
                    resource.log.debug("no zip");
                    bytes.writeTo(response.getOutputStream());
                }
Works well.

AL