When you say this:

> > The jsp pages are quite large, 5000-10000 rows and there are
> > many of them.

I take it that you mean that the page can display 5-10k rows of data from a
database, rather than the JSP has 10k lines of code in it.  I hope so.  If
not, it's no wonder that the compiler is struggling!!

If you do mean DB rows rather than lines of code, I still don't see a
particular reason why compiling the JSPs should present such a heavy load
if, as you say, you are only changing a few at a time.  It sounds more
likely to me that it is the processing of the request by the JSPs that is
probably eating up the server resources.  If compilation is happening in
parallel with this, maybe the two together are enough to push the
performance off the edge?