I answered my own question. I was not including an important .jar file in the CLASSPATH.

At 08:49 PM 5/27/2005, you wrote:
I am trying to embed tomcat in an application. I am using Sun Java 1.5 and Tomcat 5.5.9. During the tomcat startup, I receive the following error:

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.createCompiler(JspCompilationContext.java:220)

I looked at the JspCompilationContext.java code and found the block where the NullPointerException occurs:

    /**
     * Create a "Compiler" object based on some init param data. This
     * is not done yet. Right now we're just hardcoding the actual
     * compilers that are created.
     */
    public Compiler createCompiler() throws JasperException {
        if (jspCompiler != null ) {
            return jspCompiler;
        }
        jspCompiler = null;
        if (options.getCompiler() == null) {
jspCompiler = createCompiler("org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler");
            if (jspCompiler == null) {
jspCompiler = createCompiler("org.apache.jasper.compiler.AntCompiler");
            }
        } else {
jspCompiler = createCompiler("org.apache.jasper.compiler.AntCompiler");
            if (jspCompiler == null) {
jspCompiler = createCompiler("org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler");
            }
        }
        jspCompiler.init(this, jsw);
        return jspCompiler;
    }

    private static Compiler createCompiler(String className) {
        Compiler compiler = null;
        try {
            compiler = (Compiler) Class.forName(className).newInstance();
        } catch (Throwable t) {
            // Log ?
            // FIXME: log
        }
        return compiler;
    }

I was somewhat concerned by the comments within the block. I thought I would ask if there is an open bug in this area before I continued picking apart my own code. Is this a bug in Tomcat? If so, is there a work-around? If not, how should I proceed?

Thank you in advance,
Mark