I tried adding it to my .../WEB-INF/web.xml
<web-app>
  <session-config>
    <session-timeout>45</session-timeout>
  </session-config>

</web-app>

but I started getting errors when tomcat is deploying the context:

Jun 3, 2005 11:51:20 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 28 column 11: The content of element type
"web-app" must match
"(icon?,display-name?,description?,distributable?,context-param*,filter*,fil
ter-mapping*,listener*,servlet*,servlet-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mappin
g*,welcome-file-list?,error-page*,taglib*,resource-env-ref*,resource-ref*,se
curity-constraint*,login-config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-ref*,ejb-loca
l-ref*)".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The content of element type "web-app" must
match
"(icon?,display-name?,description?,distributable?,context-param*,filter*,fil
ter-mapping*,listener*,servlet*,servlet-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mappin
g*,welcome-file-list?,error-page*,taglib*,resource-env-ref*,resource-ref*,se
curity-constraint*,login-config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-ref*,ejb-loca
l-ref*)".

It looks like an XML error, but I don't see where is the problem.
Removing the above 3 lines gets rid of the errors

Ross