Hi Joe,

To summarize the point that all of these others folks were making;
Tomcat by itself has no way of interrogating the operating system of
the connecting machine or noticing through the information that it
gets from then browser that the user is a particular person. Tomcat
can only tell you for sure about the physical connection (IP, and
possibly hostname... either of which may be useful to me, but I'll get
there in a minute).

I don't have the tomcat source in front of me right now, but I'm
pretty sure that the getRemoteUser() method is a typical java 'getter'
method; the part of tomcat that manages sessions looks at the incoming
cookie and notices that this request is part of an existing, validated
session and does essentially 'setRemoteUser()'... nothing automagical
about it.

So, back to what you *can* do. So, you know their IP/host; you could
use this to query a windows domain controller, which would be able to
report which real user is logged onto which machine -- I believe
that's what Pete's suggestion was as well; seems like there's some
potential there. You can just trust the IP address or hostname (if
physical access to the computer is strong enough authentication for
you... it really shouldn't be though, because names/IPs can be
changed).

So, bottom line, you're gonna have to put some work in. If you *do*
find a solution that works, make sure to report it back to the list so
that everyone can benefit.

Cheers,
Patrick